One person was killed Wednesday in a mobile home fire in Dunnellon.
According to the Citrus County Sheriff’s Office and Crystal River Fire Department, the fire broke out just after 11 a.m.
Fire officials believe a man was sleeping in the home when the fire broke out, but he managed to escape through a window. Another person became trapped in the home and could not escape.
The man who escaped told officials he tried to help the other person, but could not save that person due to the flames.
The survivor was taken to an area hospital as a precaution.
By the time firefighters arrived, the home was almost completely engulfed in flames.
The mobile home has been declared a total loss. The state fire marshal’s office is investigating the fire.
Around 22,000 fires occur in mobile homes annually, killing 500 people and injuring 1,000. Sadly, fire death rates for mobile homes are two times higher than those in other types of dwellings. The leading cause of mobile home fires are faulty electrical and heating equipment.
Personal injury and wrongful death claims mobile home fires can be brought against manufacturers of mobile homes for any defects, including construction flaws which can cause fires to spread quickly. Some of the most common defects are from the following:
- Smoke detectors
- Interior wall and ceiling covering materials
- Plastic tub and shower fixtures
- Egress doors and windows
- Appliances and electrical
If you or someone you love has been the victim of a mobile home fire, please let our Citrus County Injury Lawyers at Whittel & Melton help. Call us today at 352-726-0078 or contact us online for a free consultation.