While you may think all children’s toys are safe, you’d be wrong. While there is some regulation on kid’s toys, there are many toys stocked on department store shelves that need to be avoided this year.
“World Against Toys Causing Harm” (WATCH) is non-profit organization that aims to educate the public about dangerous children’s products. Since 1973, WATCH has released their annual 10 Worst Toys list. The toys on this list have been labeled as having the highest potential to cause injuries or death to children.
Our Citrus County Injury Lawyers at Whittel & Melton are dedicated to making sure everyone knows about possible dangers, and that includes any hazardous products.
Please take a look at this year’s 10 worst toys list:
- Peppa Pig’s Muddy Puddles Family: This toy is sold at Target and Amazon. It has earned its place on the WATCH list because some packaging reads that this product is OK for ages 2+ with no warnings for choking hazards, while other packaging says 3+ with a choking hazard warning. This is causing a higher potential for choking injuries.
- Kids Time Baby Children’s Elephant Pillow: This toy is sold on Amazon. It made the WATCH list because it has has no warnings on the product despite the fact that the website for the toy states the pillow should only be used by an infant if an adult is present. It has a suffocation hazard. This product is in violation of the Federal Hazardous Substances Act which states, “Infant pillow[s]” and “any other similar article[s]” which are “intended or promoted for use by children under one year of age” have been banned.
- Slimeball Slinger: This toy is sold at Toys R Us and Amazon. It made the WATCH list because the product says that the “ammunition” can be fired over 30 feet. Any objects travelling that far and fast can cause serious eye injuries. The warning on the product reads: “Never shoot at any person or animal…”
- Banzai Bump N’ Bounce Body Bumpers: This toy is sold at Walmart, Amazon, Ebay and Sears. It is on the WATCH list because children ages 4 and up are encouraged to wear these and run into each other, and in the picture, with no protection, despite the warning on the box that reads, “To avoid risk of serious injury or death: …This product does not provide protection. Impact hazard may present; protective equipment (for head, elbows, knees, hands, etc) should be worn (not included).”
- Nerf Rival Apollo XV-700 Blaster: This toy is sold at Walmart, Target, Amazon and Kmart. It is recommended for ages 14+ but has no safety warnings. This product is on the WATCH list because it encourages “precision battling” and “intense head-to head competition”. Eye injuries are a serious risk with this toy.
- The Good Dinosaur Galloping Butch: This toy is sold at Walmart, Amazon and Toys R US. This toy is on the WATCH list because the toy has a “hazard” for puncture wound injuries, therefore WATCH feels that there is a huge potential for these injuries.
- Peppy Pups: This toy is sold at Toys R US. It has no warnings on the packaging, however is on the WATCH list because of possible strangulation injuries. The industry’s standard for strings on crib toys is 12 inches. However since this product is 2+ the cord, which measures 31 inches is allowed.
- Flying Heroes Superman Launcher: This toy is sold at Toys R Us, Amazon, Walmart, Sears, Ebay and BigW. The warning on the packaging states, “Never aim at eyes or face”. This toy is on the WATCH list for the potential for eye and facial injuries.
- Baby Magic Feed and Play Baby: This toy is sold at Toys R Us, Amazon and Sears. It has no warning labels, however this toy is on the WATCH list for its potential for ingestion injuries. The interactive spoon is thin and hard and could constrict a child’s airway.
- Warcraft Doomhammer: This toy is sold at Toys R Us and Amazon. The warning label states, “Not suitable for children under 36 months, choking hazard.” This toy is on the WATCH list for the possible blunt impact injuries it could cause, as 6-year-olds are encouraged to use the heavy rigid hammer based off of weaponry in the “Warcraft” movie.
If you or someone you love has been injured by a defective product, let our Citrus County Injury Lawyers at Whittel & Melton help. Call us today at 352-726-0078 or contact us online to request a free consultation. We can answer any questions you may have and help you understand how to proceed.