Reports indicate that a lawsuit has been recently filed by a woman in Texas who suffered burn injuries after her iPod Touch exploded and burnt her eye.
The woman claims that she was listening to music on her bed with her iTouch beside her, when she suddenly felt a burning sensation near her eye. She claims the iTouch had exploded and delivered an electrical shock that severely burned her eye, leading to an assortment of damages.
The woman is accusing Apple of selling her a defective product and failing to warn her about the possibilities of electrical shock explosions. The lawsuit states that the plaintiff would not have bought the iPod if she was aware of the risk of serious bodily injury.
The woman has requested a jury trial, and is seeking damages for pain and suffering, medical bills, mental and emotional distress, scarring, disability, and loss of enjoyment of daily activities.
While this case may seem unique, this is actually not the first lawsuit of this kind to pop up in recent years across the U.S. In 2009, a 15-year-old boy was seriously burned when his iTouch exploded in his pants pocket and caught fire. The iTouch apparently delivered second-degree burns to the boys’ leg, and he ended up filing for more than $200,000 in punitive and compensatory damages.
In 2011, Apple issued a recall for its iPod nano because of its potential to overheat, posing a safety risk to consumers. All iPod nanos were offered to be replaced, and the defect was linked back to the battery supplier who has issues with its manufacturing.
Any product that carries the risk of catching fire is a serious hazard. If you or someone you know has been injured because of a dangerous or defective product in Citrus County, it is important to seek the help of a Citrus County Injury Attorney at Whittel & Melton today to determine if you may be entitled to recover compensation for damages. For a free assessment of your case, contact us today online or call 352-726-0078.