How to Avoid an Electric Shock Injury in Crystal River


May is National Electric Safety Month, so it is important to shed some light on electrical hazards and how to prevent electrical accidents from happening in the first place. While you may not hear about electrical accidents often, electricity causes thousands of injuries and deaths every year.

We rely on electrical power in our homes to cook our food and run all of our electronic devices, such as computers and televisions. In fact, much of what makes up our modern world would not be possible without electricity. However, electricity can also be quite dangerous. When electrical contact is made sending electricity through the body, this is known as electric shock. In most cases, electric shock is the direct result of the human body coming into contact with damaged or faulty wiring. Electric shock can vary in severity and depends on the strength of the electric current and how long the person was exposed to it.

If you have ever touched an outlet and experienced a slight buzz or vibration on your hand, then you have endured a minor electric shock. A severe shock can result in muscle contractions, spasms, unconsciousness, paralysis and death. A person may even suffer severe burns from where the current entered and left the body.

105391_dirty_outlet.jpgAccording to The Electrical Safety Foundation International, each year, home electrical fires throughout the U.S. are responsible for nearly 500 deaths, more than 1,400 injuries and $1.3 billion in property damage. However, fires are not the only danger associated with electrical accidents. In fact, every year thousands of Americans are critically injured after suffering electric shock or burns from various risky features in their homes, including:

• Faulty Electrical Outlets and Old Wiring
• Problems with Extension and Appliance Cords, Plugs, Receptacles and Switches
• Light Fixtures Lamps and Light Bulbs
• Overloaded Circuits
• Electric Cords Place in High Traffic Areas
It is important to have a working smoke alarm in your home because it can significantly increase your chances of surviving a house fire. It is always a good idea to have a home escape plan mapped out with your family should an unfortunate accident arise.

Remember, most electric shock injuries can be avoided. If you or someone you care for has suffered electric shock because of someone else’s negligent actions, you have the right to pursue financial compensation for your injuries. To learn more about an electric injury or wrongful death claim in Crystal River, Inverness, Dunnellon, Homosassa or the surrounding area, contact a Citrus County Injury Lawyer at Whittel & Melton today online or call 352-726-0078. Your initial consultation is always free, and you will not pay us any fees unless we recover compensation for you.

Contact Information