Halloween is Friday, which means you should expect to see lots of miniature superheroes and Disney princesses stomping through the streets in search of candy. While fun and exciting, Halloween is also a time of increased danger for pedestrians due to the increased foot traffic in neighborhoods. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the potential for auto accidents involving kids increases four times on Halloween night. There is also a 23 percent increase in drunk driving incidents on Halloween night.
The following are some safety tips for adults accompanying children through the neighborhoods this Halloween and a reminder for drivers to pay close attention on the roadways.
- Always accompany children – do not let them go alone.
- If your children are out in the dark, remember this cool trick: attach reflective tape to costumes and bags so that motorists can see them.
- Carry a flashlight in case it is difficult to see.
- Try to stay on sidewalks, but if there are no sidewalks make sure to walk facing traffic.
- Look both ways before you cross the street.
- Only eat recognizable candy. Do not eat anything homemade made by strangers, or anything that has a broken seal or wrapper.
- Turn your headlights on this Halloween so that you can always see the road and people walking.
- Drive slow as children can wander off the sidewalks and into the streets in the blink of an eye.
- Turn the music down and roll windows down so that you can hear children easily.
- Completely stop at stop signs.
Halloween night accidents can result in significant physical injuries that require extensive medical treatment. If you or your loved one has been injured due to the negligence, carelessness or recklessness of another person, you may be entitled to seek financial compensation for your injuries.
A Citrus County Injury Lawyer at Whittel & Melton can help those injured as a result of someone else’s negligence in Inverness, Crystal River, Beverly Hills, Lecanto, Homosassa, Dunnellon, Hernando, Sugarmill Woods, Citrus Springs and Floral City. Call us today at 352-726-0078 for a free consultation.