According to new data recently released by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, traffic fatalities increased by 7.2 percent in 2015 compared to 2014. Sadly, 35,200 people died last year in motor vehicle related deaths.
The federal agency breaks the country up into 10 different regions for the purposes of analyzing data. Reports from 2015 show that Florida had a total of 2,494 traffic deaths in 2015 .
Every type of motor vehicle accident fatality saw a surge, including:
- Truck accident fatalities – 4% increase
- Rollover accident fatalities – 5% increase
- Driver accident fatalities – 6% increase
- Passenger accident fatalities – 7% increase
- Motorcycle accident fatalities – 9% increase
- Fatal crashes involving young drivers between the ages of 15 and 20 years of age – 10% increase
- Pedestrian accident fatalities – 10% increase
- Bicycle accident fatalities – 13% increase
The NHTSA believes the main cause this rise in accidents is due to human error or choice, a factor found in a staggering 94 percent of the crashes.
The agency is taken a serious stance on finding new ways to help combat against distracted driving, drowsy driving, drunk and drugged driving, failure to use seat belts, speeding, and safety protections for cyclists and pedestrians.
If you have been injured in an accident caused by another driver, let our Citrus County Auto Accident Lawyers at Whittel & Melton help. We can determine what legal options are available to you. Call us today at 352-726-0078 or contact us online for a free consultation.